POSITION: Learning & Development Manager, Baseball Operations
DEPARTMENTS: Baseball Operations/Human Resources & Administration
REPORTS TO: Dual reporting into HR & Baseball Ops
LOCATION: Boston, MA
EMPLOYMENT TYPE: Full-Time
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
POSITION OVERVIEW: The Learning & Development Manager, Baseball Operations is responsible for identifying, implementing, overseeing, and evaluating baseball-specific and non-baseball-specific staff learning and development initiatives within the baseball operations department. This role will work closely with department heads, senior baseball operations leaders, and other key internal stakeholders to help ensure that all domestic and international staff members, who work in various locations around the country and the world, have the necessary knowledge and skills to perform their job at the highest level, as well as opportunities to grow and enhance their careers.
- Identify learning & development needs across all disciplines of baseball operations. Create short- and long-term education plans that will successfully address those needs using both internal and external resources.
- Work with internal experts and outside resources to proactively design and facilitate education programs to suit the rapidly evolving learning needs of the Baseball Operations staff.
- Identify external learning opportunities for staff, including conferences, seminars, formal and informal training sessions, and work with baseball operations domain leaders to determine which staff members will attend.
- Arrange for impactful outside speakers and guests to provide learning and development opportunities for baseball operations staff.
- Develop effective onboarding programs to help new staff get properly integrated into baseball operations and gain exposure to all areas of the department.
- Consult with managers during employee review process to ensure proper learning & development needs and resources to meet those needs are identified.
- Organize and provide department-wide access to all learning and development offerings, integrating these efforts across baseball ops domains (domestic and international scouting, player development, baseball analytics, etc.). Ensure education offerings are available in both English & Spanish.
- Ensure that takeaways from all internal and external training and learning opportunities are properly shared, visible, and accessible to appropriate staff who did not attend.
- Design an evaluation system to measure the impact of educational offerings to ensure we are providing the highest level of value.
- Partner with other education focused positions within Baseball Ops & Human Resources to ensure proper sharing of resources and collaboration.
- Build network with other L&D professionals within and outside of the sports industry to gain awareness of resources available and to share best practices.
- Occasional travel to Fort Myers, minor league affiliates, Dominican Academy, and other locations.
- Other responsibilities and duties as assigned.
- 5+ years creating and overseeing learning and development programs or related experience.
- Bachelor’s Degree required. Professional training in fields related to educational design and delivery and/or organizational development is strongly preferred.
- Experience working in a professional/college sports organization or league office is ideal, but not required.
- Experience designing programs in different learning platforms (online, virtual, and in-person).
- Demonstrated record of success in leading staff development and strategic initiatives.
- Excellent communication (oral and written) and training facilitation skills.
- Strong planning and organizational skills. Ability to effectively manage several projects simultaneously.
- Enthusiastic, positive attitude, and strong work ethic.
- Proven relationship-builder with staff at all levels.
- Experience in or appreciation for working in a multi-lingual and multi-cultural work environment
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) and e-learning platforms.
The Red Sox (or FSM) requires proof of COVID-19 vaccination as a condition of employment, subject to applicable legal requirements.
Thank you for reading
This is a free article. If you enjoyed it, consider subscribing to Baseball Prospectus. Subscriptions support ongoing public baseball research and analysis in an increasingly proprietary environment.